Monday, April 11, 2011

La vie continue here in the M-O-G-O-U. Toby is about the best thing that has happened to my village life… he follows me around all day, makes friends with people and other dogs, has learned “sit,” and is (fingers crossed) house trained. My neighbor’s dog, Jabinjezou, and Toby are bff’s, and I usually have the two of them following me around to meetings, through the marché, to girls club, etc. I also got a new rooster as a cadeau from a neighboring village, and named him Billy. Let me know if I start to sound animal crazy… or just plain crazy.
I had a really busy day last Friday. Affaires woke me up yelling “Good morning! Bonjour! Hélène est la?” outside my door. It was 5:37 am. I stumbled out on to the porch and told him it was not yet morning and that it had better be important. Turns out it was. The night before, one of the rockstar girls from my girls club came to Affaires’ house at 11pm, saying her family was trying to marry her off to some guy who wanted to take her to Nigeria to work. She said she didn’t want to marry him and wanted to stay in school. We had just talked about good communication skills and standing up for yourself at girls club, and she was one of only three girls who volunteered to participate in skits. I was so proud. Affaires arranged for her to spend the night at the Chef du Canton’s house, and now this morning we had to go sort it all out.
So we interviewed the family: Maman and three older brothers, who all claimed to know nothing about it. All Maman did was yell at her daughter for telling us and embarrassing the family. Affaires then took the girl to Gando to talk with the police chief, who issued warrants to the whole family and the potential husband, and we all showed up to court Saturday morning (except the potential husband, who fled to Nigeria). I really like the CB in Gando: super nice guy who seems really good at his job. He explained that girls who go to school, no matter if you think they actually want to marry someone or not, don’t get married. Especially if they’re only 17. He even pounded his fists on the desk a few times. It was awesome.
Now I’m in Mango for a couple days turning in my VRF (Peace Corps reporting form) and basking in the electricity. I slept all night last night! Gotta love fans. Then it’s back to Mogou for the week. We’ve got a parajuriste (paralegal, maybe?) coming in from Gando to talk with the Girls Club on Wednesday, and we’re working on putting together a skit to present at Premier Mai, the next big fete in village. I’m really stoked for Premier Mai: my Gangam teacher included me in her group of women who are celebrating together, and we’re going to have matching pagne outfits. She’s just about the most stylish woman in Mogou, so it’s a good group to be in : )
I can’t believe it’s already April! The months are flying by… even though every day takes about a year. Love you all! xoxox 

No comments:

Post a Comment