Friday, September 21, 2012

It’s official: I’m an RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer)! They cut my ID card this morning as the last step in my COS process.  I’m now sitting in the bureau on my last full day in Togo, packing and repacking my bags and getting super stoked for my trip to Tanzania which starts tomorrow. I’ll be there for two weeks, then back to Wisconsin on Oct. 7th.
As much as people tell me goodbye and congrats, it still hasn’t hit me that I’m leaving. My last week in Mogou was a blur—cleaning out my house, giving gifts, having my last dinner with Affaires. He was so, so great! We hung out all week, set up an email account for him, and reflected back on my two years. It all went well, that is, until my last night in village when I started not feeling well. After a quick check up at the clinic in Dapaong, I found out I’d contracted malaria and amoebas at the same time. No fun. I felt terrible, which I think diverted my attention from the emotions of leaving, but recovered after a few days and am feeling better now. It’s funny, I had a relatively very healthy service right up until my very last day in Mogou. Saved it all for the end!
Well, I’ll have to keep this short, but will be home soon enough to update you all in person! A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment